A good friend has recently taken up cooking as a new hobby, and his revelation prompted me to think about what books I’d want as my starter set. My top 5:
- How to Cook Everything, by Mark Bittman
- Verdura, by Viana La Place
- Rosie’s Bakery All-Butter, Fresh Cream, Sugar-Packed, No-Holds-Barred Baking Book, by Judy Rosenberg
- Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking, by Marcella Hazan
- Biscuits and Scones by Elizabeth Allston
Other authors would finish this off at a tight 9 – Madhur Jaffrey, Paula Wolfert, Richard Sax, and the world that is the Molly O’Neill “New York Cookbook”. And while none of these are strictly vegetarian tomes, they have already provided me with years of wonderful ideas and meals. And for number 10, I’d pick the epicurious search engine.